Some time ago, Michael Henderson wrote a magnificent and timeless song, "Valentine Love."
On his solo album, Solid, Michael slows the tempo and sings the song (by himself) as a straight forward love song.
In a duet with Jean Carn on the collection Norman Connors Saturday Night Special, "Valentine Love" is given a slightly quicker tempo, with Michael looking for forgiveness from the main lady in his life:
Valentine Love Lyrics by Michael Henderson:
I'm sending you a valentine in hopes that you're still mine and if that valentine doesn't reach you it's ok
Now it's not as bad like you though it would be Come on baby, take my heart. I love you still and I always will be yours be yours yours yours yours I'm so in love with you
I'm sending you this valentine in hopes that you're still mine and if that valentine doesn't reach you it's ok
I can't make up your mind for you just have patience, that's all you can do I love you still, and I always will be yours be yours,
I'm so in love with you (Michael's version only) I'm on my knees begging you back baby there's nothing I wont do there's nothing, there's nothing Michael won't do (Michael's version only) If I could only hold you in my arms again
I'm so in love with you There nothing your baby won't do If I could just?
Hold me I'm in love
I'm sending you this valentine I'm sending you this valentine I'm sending you this valentine
I'm in Love
Here are my "10 favorite soulful R&B valentine hits for the heart" ranked in order:
- "Just as Long as We Have Love" Spinners with Dionne Warwick
- "I'll Try Something New" Smokey Robinson
- "I've Got So Much to Give" Barry White
- "Love's Holiday" Earth Wind & Fire
- "Always" Atlantic Starr
- "Lady Love" Lou Rawls
- "All This Love" Patti Labelle (originally by DeBarge)
- "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson
- "Give Me Your Love" Curtis Mayfield
- "Valentine Love" Norman Connors (featuring Michael Henderson and Jean Carn)
Happy Valentine's Day.