Kenny Gamble (right) and Leon Huff (left) are marking their 45th anniversary as musical producers with a fresh Hollywood showcase for their vintage hits.
Pride is a new movie about troubled 70's teens who find redemption through their swimming team. Terrence Howard and Bernie Mac star. Five songs from the Philadelphia International Records catalog dominate the soundtrack.
Here's are the songs from Pride:
- "Back Stabbers" written by Leon Huff, Gene McFadden and John Whitehead, performed by The O'Jays
- "Let's Clean Up the Ghetto" written by Gilbert Cary, Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, performed by The Philadelphia All-Stars
- "Little Child Runnin' Wild" written by Curtis Mayfield, performed by Curtis Mayfield
- "Express Yourself" written by Charles Wright, performed by Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
- "I'll Take You There" written by Alvertis Isbell, performed by The Staples Singers
- "It's Your Thing" written by Ronald Isley, Rudolph Isley and O'Kelly Isley, performed by The Isley Brothers
- "Expansions" written by Lonnie Liston Smith, performed by Lonnie Liston Smith
- "Blow Me Away" written by Brenton Brown, Performed by Dreamseed
- "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" written by Marvin P. Gaye and James Nyx, performed by Grover Washington, Jr.
- "Slow Motion" written by Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, Performed by Johnny Williams
- "I Love Music" written by Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, performed by The O'Jays
- "I Can't Wait Much Longer" written by Francis Miller and Robin Trower, performed by Robin Trower
- "The Fool and Me" written by James Dewar and Robin Trower, performed by Robin Trower
- "Oh Happy Day" written by Edwin Hawkins, performed by The Edwin Hawkins Singers
- "Love Train" written by Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, performed by The O'Jays
- "Strawberry Letter 23" written by Shuggie Otis, performed by The Brothers Johnson
- "The Payback" written by James Brown, Fred Wesley and John Starks, performed by James Brown
- "Dare To Dream" written by John Legend, Aaron Zigman, Sunu Gonera and Jerry Hey, performed by John Legend
This is an unusual mix. "Expansions" by Lonnie Liston Smith, "Slow Motion" by Johnny Williams, and the two songs from Robin Trower (of Procol Harum "Whiter Shade of Pale" fame) are surprises.
"Expansions" is a superb fusion of R&B and jazz. It's nice to see the song recycled in this flick. "Slow Motion" was a hit for Williams, but not as big as the other Philly International tracks on this soundtrack.
Pride is based on a true Philadelphia story, hence the dominance of Gamble & Huff classic soul productions.